• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

water damage by home builder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rock911s

I am buying a new home from a local developer. A recent rain has damaged drywall and insulation in many parts of the home. They are assuring me that damage will be repaired properly. Should I hire a home inspector? I am worried about mold and mildew. The home has only roofing paper, but no shingles yet. All the adjacent homes appear to have completed roofs. What are my rights? Any advice? Please help.

Joel - Chula Vista, California

I would have someone who knows what they are doing look at the sheetrock. Water can cause permanent damage and weaken sheetrock. This damaged sheetrock can then be painted to look fine, but it never regains its original strength. A little water staining on the paint may not indicate damage, in my experience you have to poke a few holes in it and see if the sheetrock that was wet is as strong as new.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">