• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does onsite supervision mean?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am doing some work on a building of mine, I am pulling the permits myself, which is legal within certain constraints. What I am trying to figure out is how much of the time that work is going on do I need to be physically present. In my business (not construction) I directly supervise people and have onsite supervision responsibilities for projects many miles away, can I do that here? What I really want to do is hire some people I know and trust to do the work and stop by every morning and evening and directly supervise by phone all day.

I did search the Florida Statutes and could not come up with definitions for the words they use like onsite supervision or direct supervision.

I have pasted in a few of what appear to me to be the relevant lines from Florida Law.

From Florida Statutes Chapter 489.103 Exemptions.--This part does not apply to:

(7)Owners of property when acting as their own contractor and providing direct, onsite supervision themselves of all work not performed by licensed contractors, when building........The owner may not delegate the owner's responsibility to directly supervise all work to any other person......The local permitting agency shall provide the person with a disclosure statement in substantially the following form:

Disclosure Statement
State law requires construction to be done by licensed contractors. You have applied for a permit under an exemption to that law. The exemption allows you, as the owner of your property, to act as your own contractor with certain restrictions even though you do not have a license. You must provide direct, onsite supervision of the construction yourself. .........Any person working on your building who is not licensed must work under your direct supervision and must be employed by you........

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

alligatorob said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I am doing some work on a building of mine, I am pulling the permits myself, which is legal within certain constraints. What I am trying to figure out is how much of the time that work is going on do I need to be physically present. In my business (not construction) I directly supervise people and have onsite supervision responsibilities for projects many miles away, can I do that here? What I really want to do is hire some people I know and trust to do the work and stop by every morning and evening and directly supervise by phone all day.

I did search the Florida Statutes and could not come up with definitions for the words they use like onsite supervision or direct supervision.

I have pasted in a few of what appear to me to be the relevant lines from Florida Law.

From Florida Statutes Chapter 489.103 Exemptions.--This part does not apply to:

(7)Owners of property when acting as their own contractor and providing direct, onsite supervision themselves of all work not performed by licensed contractors, when building........The owner may not delegate the owner's responsibility to directly supervise all work to any other person......The local permitting agency shall provide the person with a disclosure statement in substantially the following form:

Disclosure Statement
State law requires construction to be done by licensed contractors. You have applied for a permit under an exemption to that law. The exemption allows you, as the owner of your property, to act as your own contractor with certain restrictions even though you do not have a license. You must provide direct, onsite supervision of the construction yourself. .........Any person working on your building who is not licensed must work under your direct supervision and must be employed by you........

My response:

Your questions are not about State law; rather, about local Municipal Codes for your county. We don't have that access. But, even if we did, you didn't give us your county name - - so it would be impossible for us to help you. Call you local Department of Buildings - - you know, that place where you pulled your permits. They'll help you.

IAAL

S

Spectatorz

On-Site Supervision

California

In our opinion this refers to the individual that is appointed by the Owner of the project to be in charge during the time periods that this owner is Not On-Site.
It could be a person considered as the "Project Foreman" even if the person is only in charge of himself.

HomeGuru

Spectatorz said:
California

In our opinion this refers to the individual that is appointed by the Owner of the project to be in charge during the time periods that this owner is Not On-Site.
It could be a person considered as the "Project Foreman" even if the person is only in charge of himself.
**A: good definition. Now what does "in charge of himself" mean?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">