• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work performed without estimate or authority

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AEGee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In California.

I called a glass/window company to come out to the property to look at my window sash and to provide me with an estimate/quote for repair costs for two windows. I specifically told company (1) that other workers would be in the condo but that they were to communicate only to me. That statement was typed on the "estimate order" sheet. I was not on premise when the estimator arrived and company 1 put on notice of that fact. I called the following day to inquire and request that the estimate be emailed to me. I later found out that the work was completed, no prices were provided/quoted and that the "estimate order" was signed by someone who happened to be in the condo at the time. The condo is vacant and up for sale. There were other workers and RE sales agents (not mine) on premise at the time. Key and authority to enter condo was with the concierge.

Prior to receiving the quote/estimate I requested from company 1, I called company 2 and asked them to see the condo and to provide an estimate/quote for repair costs for one window. I received an emailed estimate from company 2 within hours of the request. I confirmed it was an estimate.

Company 1 is now demanding payment for "work" done. Interestingly, company 2 is also demanding payment for work done. Neither received a confirmation or authorized signature from me to perform the work. The amount is approximately 200.00 per window.

Input appreciated.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Im sort of curious , the window(s) that were installed would you have likely had the same model installed ? as to the companies the one who actually installed do they have anyone`s signature on a contract ? second firm you had contacted I guess same deal but no emails when you contact them I would suggest you use on paper certified letter (keep copy for self ) and in the letter maybe include copies of your Email and how you re contacted them to again tell them it was just a estimate and last remind them that they should be able to tell you who authorized this repair since you had not then you may want to remind them that it might be interesting to see them explain how a estimate = consent or a contract in court. First company who installed its product with out your consent, ( in the early 80s I worked for a window and door & siding company in south mpls , they had a customer who lived in St Louis Park Mn that had ordered a awning for front window , they built it, installers went out to install it but a few weeks later the customer called to ask when this awning was going to be installed, Later it was looked into and the installers had gone to the home across the street and installed it there, they contacted that homeowner , she had wanted a awning for her living room window for many years but never had the money to pay for one. They asked if they could remove it after they told her what had happened and she told them NO. So The company had to make another and install it at the contracted customers home and they could do nothing about the one they mistakenly installed on some one elses property. Im not saying here that the company who installed should not be paid , but while this is to your advantage it might be handy to see who the H signed a work order and if no signature then to make them squirm while you decide what to do .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">