• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong fireplace doors installed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chunkylover

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I ordered "custom made" fireplace doors. The company I ordered from hired a sub-contractor to install them. The wrong doors were installed while I was at work. I immediately contacted the company, I purchased the doors from. The doors were mortared in and removing them would damage the existing stone work. I refuse to pay from something that I did not order (I have paper work). Company has threatened to put a lien on my house. Advice?

justalayman

The doors were mortared in and removing them would damage the existing stone work.
just to make certain; you are willing to allow them to install the correct doors, right?

The next time the contractor threatens to put a unjustified lien on the house, let him know the counter action to an unjustified lien is you suing for slander of title.

chunkylover

just to make certain; you are willing to allow them to install the correct doors, right?

The next time the contractor threatens to put a unjustified lien on the house, let him know the counter action to an unjustified lien is you suing for slander of title.
I may have been prior to his threats. I'm worried that the doors, if replaced, would not match the existing frame that is mortared in. Different colored doors and frame was not the look I wanted.

justalayman

You can't have it both ways. What was mortared in can be removed and replaced. If you choose to keep the existing doors you need to expect to pay for them. If you can negotiate a discount, great. If not, then it may end up in court.

STEPHAN

They might have put a construction lien on the house before they did their work. Routinely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">