• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong windows installed; how to handle with contractor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tjacob821

What is the name of your state? WA

I have a quick question. I received a written estimate for the installation of replacement windows on my home, vinyl windows, Argon gas filled, and with non-conductive "super spacers" to prevent condensation in the windows. In Seattle, that is important.

Installation began today. The brand of windows is correct, but I noticed this evening, halfway through the project, that that windows are less expensive, air-filled windows with metal spacers.

Installation will take one more day. I will raise this with the contractor tomorrow. But, how else do I handle if he refuses to make good on the discrepancy between what I ordered and agreed to pay for, and the lesser quality windows he is installing? I am thinking the worst, that he thought I wouldn't notice he ordered cheaper windows. Do I stop work at the halfway point? What am I obligated to pay him?

lwpat

I would immediately put the contractor on written notice that he is installing the wrong windows. After that it really depends on what you can work out and what you are willing to accept. If it was me I would insist on the correct material.

Do I stop work at the halfway point?
Yes. To allow him to continue could be construed as acceptance.

What am I obligated to pay him?
Nothing until the project is completed in accordance with the paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">