• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401K hardship withdraw during Chapter 13

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OhioJen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have medical bills that have come up since my filing Chapter 13 last year. Can I hit my 401k with a hardship withdraw to pay them?

efflandt

If the 401(k) is from a current employer I do not believe you can take a distribution, but you may be able to take a loan. Just be aware that if you lose your job or leave your employer any outstanding balance you do not pay back quickly will be considered a distribution.

If you do take a distribution from the 401(k) of a former employer, it will be taxable. One of the 10% penalty exceptions is "From a qualified retirement plan to the extent you have deductible medical expenses (medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income), whether or not you itemize your deductions for the year".

There do not appear to be any 10% penalty exceptions for hardship in IRS Publication 575, since your 401(k) is protected from creditors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">