• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After BK lien still on home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

allanburnham

What is the name of your state? California

A Lien was put on my home after a judgement against me from a credit card debt. 3 months later I went through a chapter 7 bankruptcy that included this particular debtor. The bankruptcy was discharged over 4 years ago. I am currently in the process of re-financing my home and the lien has shown up on the title report. I cannot find the lawyer as she is no longer in business around here. I do have a name and number for the bankruptcy trustee however. Do I have the right to have the lien removed and if so what would be my best approach to resolving this matter.

Thank You, Allan

HomeGuru

allanburnham said:
What is the name of your state? California

A Lien was put on my home after a judgement against me from a credit card debt. 3 months later I went through a chapter 7 bankruptcy that included this particular debtor. The bankruptcy was discharged over 4 years ago. I am currently in the process of re-financing my home and the lien has shown up on the title report. I cannot find the lawyer as she is no longer in business around here. I do have a name and number for the bankruptcy trustee however. Do I have the right to have the lien removed and if so what would be my best approach to resolving this matter.

Thank You, Allan
**A: the problem was that the lien was already attached to your property before you filed BK. When the BK was discharged, the creditor had a prior secured their interest via their judgement lien. At the point of attachment, the unsecured creditor became a secured creditor.

A

allanburnham

Re

Sounds like I screwed up! What would be my best course at this point? Should I just pay of the Lien in escrow and look at this as a learning experience or should I try and negotiate the amount that I owe? My main objective is to reduce my mortgage from a 30 year fixed to a 15 year fixed, my monthly payment would be about the same, but I would be reducing the eventual cost and length of the loan. Time is of the essence as I must close by the end of this month.
BTW how long can this sort of lein remain on title?
Thanks Again, Allan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">