• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Avoiding a tax sale/foreclosure in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jasonrwoodiii

Hi, if anyone has knowledge in this area, I would certainly appreciate it if you could help me understand my options, if I have any.

My home is paid off, but it is all I have of value. I'm out of savings, and thus, have fallen behind in real estate tax with Fairfax Co. They have enlisted attorneys, a company called TACS, to collect taxes, and TACS has advised me that they plan to file suit in court to obtain authority to sell my home.

I don't have any other debts, just the Fairfax taxes, so I don't think bankruptcy could help me. Am I right? I mean, the Virginia homestead exemption seems to be one of the worst in the US for the person who has fallen on hard times. Does it matter that I rent to some college students who are from so far away that they can't go to their parents and still attend school? Or can/will they actually put students on the street? What if a small child was living there? What then?

Once I got the students in the house, I began making $300 per month payments to the county, yet that still has not been enough to satisfy them.

Thank you very much for reading.

LdiJ

Hi, if anyone has knowledge in this area, I would certainly appreciate it if you could help me understand my options, if I have any.

My home is paid off, but it is all I have of value. I'm out of savings, and thus, have fallen behind in real estate tax with Fairfax Co. They have enlisted attorneys, a company called TACS, to collect taxes, and TACS has advised me that they plan to file suit in court to obtain authority to sell my home.

I don't have any other debts, just the Fairfax taxes, so I don't think bankruptcy could help me. Am I right? I mean, the Virginia homestead exemption seems to be one of the worst in the US for the person who has fallen on hard times. Does it matter that I rent to some college students who are from so far away that they can't go to their parents and still attend school? Or can/will they actually put students on the street? What if a small child was living there? What then?

Once I got the students in the house, I began making $300 per month payments to the county, yet that still has not been enough to satisfy them.

Thank you very much for reading.
Get a home equity loan. Pay off the taxes. Use the rent to keep your taxes current and to pay off the loan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">