• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robertrk

What is the name of your state? Maryland

We will be filing a chapter 13 and trying to repay more than half of what we owe, back over a 5 year plan. I do realize we are the ones to blame for where we are today. We absolutely made a big mistake in our financial planning and over-extended beyond our means. However, up until 3 months ago, I have never been late or slow on paying any of our obligations. We have since lost income and and overtime pay that we have been getting daily for many years. Again, it is our fault for over-extending and not thinking of the future. However, I am not lazy and we both have full-time jobs. I have been at my job for over 16 years. My husband retired (due to downsizing) from his job last year after 37 years. He is working a full-time temp position as he cannot find a permanent job. I am working full-time as well. WE BOTH are willing to work second jobs at nights, weekends, holidays, etc.. However, are we permitted to work more hours or a second job while in a 5 year Chapter 13 plan or will the Trustee want this extra income as well? Secondly, will we be able to find a second job after filing for bankruptcy? Does a bankground check consist of criminal and credit background checks? Do they look at our credit report and will see the bankruptcy? What places will hire you if you are in bankruptcy? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

djohnson

Some place do background checks and some don't so it depends on where you go. While you can't be discriminated against for your bankruptcy it can stop you from getting jobs that requires you to be bonded. Once again it depends on the job. You can work what hours you want in the bankruptcy. They do not comeback and check your pay stubs every week. If your making your payments then you are meeting your agreement.

robertrk

DJohnson - Thanks!

State of Maryland

DJohnson,

Thank you so much for your response. It certainly eases my mind a bit knowing that I can work a second job during the Chapter 13 plan without the Trustee requiring me to submit the money from the second job as well. This way, I will be certain to continue and finish the plan as well as save for my daughter's college in 2 years. Thank you for your input on everything.

Robin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">