• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az

I just wanted to know my wife had surgery at a hospital for her left knee and we just found out the hospital does not hold a contract with her provider blue cross.
We found out that we may have to pay the entire amount of the Hospital bill only which amounts to over 27000 dollars. We were NOT told by the doctor and the hospital they did not have a contract with Blue Cross. If we are forced to pay this bill than would bankruptcy be an alternative?

racer72

Pay the bill then file for reimbursement from Blue Cross. It's how I had to pay a couple bills years ago when Blue Cross was my primary insurer and I used a non network provider. A bankruptcy will not work if you have a way to have the bill paid.

Pay the bill then file for reimbursement from Blue Cross. It's how I had to pay a couple bills years ago when Blue Cross was my primary insurer and I used a non network provider. A bankruptcy will not work if you have a way to have the bill paid.
You mean pay the entire 27000 than file to get reimbursed from blue cross. I don't have that kind of money.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az

I just wanted to know my wife had surgery at a hospital for her left knee and we just found out the hospital does not hold a contract with her provider blue cross.
We found out that we may have to pay the entire amount of the Hospital bill only which amounts to over 27000 dollars. We were NOT told by the doctor and the hospital they did not have a contract with Blue Cross. If we are forced to pay this bill than would bankruptcy be an alternative?
That was your wife's job: to find out what her insurance provider covered. It takes a phone call.

Silverplum

She did and the hospital told her since the insurance company denied the claim she would be responsible for the entire 27000+.
I meant, BEFORE any medical procedures are performed.

For instance, I'm going for a medical procedure this month. I called the doctor's office to be sure they accepted my insurance. I also called the insurance company to be sure they work with that doctor. Now I know I'm covered.

For instance, I'm going for a medical procedure this month. I called the doctor's office to be sure they accepted my insurance. I also called the insurance company to be sure they work with that doctor. Now I know I'm covered.
Her doctor cleared her to go to the hospital and do the procedure. My wife also said the hospital called the insurance company and was cleared by them for the out-patient surgery.

Silverplum

Her doctor cleared her to go to the hospital and do the procedure. My wife also said the hospital called the insurance company and was cleared by them for the out-patient surgery.
Then she should pursue that lead: that the hospital called the insurance company.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

We went through all of those steps before a surgery my wife had. The insurance company is not coming back and claiming the procedure was investigational and, therefor, not covered. Same insurance company.

I had a similar matter a number of years ago with the SAME insurance company. The state finally stepped in and directed that they MUST pay the bill.

We went through all of those steps before a surgery my wife had. The insurance company is not coming back and claiming the procedure was investigational and, therefor, not covered. Same insurance company.

I had a similar matter a number of years ago with the SAME insurance company. The state finally stepped in and directed that they MUST pay the bill.
Than should I wait to see what the insurance company will do about this and if they refuse to pay for it than take legal action.

single317dad

In my experience, getting a health insurance company to pay anything over and above part of an office visit or a prescription is a guaranteed runaround. Don't give up on the insurance angle so easily.

And don't even get me started on auto insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">