• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bankruptcy and child support arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

ForFreshStart

im in need of information on bankruptcy laws. i had read that chapter 13 covers not only debts to creditors but also clears back child support payments that i am in arrears on.
i am the father of three who fell into some very bad times for 3 years and made payments when i could. i want very much to pay on a weekly basis and keep up with support, but now my wages are being garnished and include payment of back amounts due as well as the current payments. now that i have gotten through my hard times, it seems that this garnishment for the arrears will land me right back in them. my question then is, can i file bankruptcy and have my arrears debt wiped clean? I don't know that the state matters but the original divorce decree was from wisconsin

racer72

Back due child support cannot be dismissed or amended by bankruptcy. Nor can it your current child support be amended. And filing for bankruptcy will stop all payroll garnishments, except for past due and current child support. Not what you wanted to hear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">