• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy on college tuition?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

Previous, this college had placed an OUTRAGEOUS amount on my student account, only for the Department of Education to discover that it was an error on the COLLEGE'S behalf, not mine. It took a whole year to get this removed. I did not owe them a dime. In fact, the college called me to APOLOGIZE for what they had done. These college's are seriously getting out of hand. So, yes, I have every right to investigate and question the legitimacy of this debt that is due.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. These college's what?

:confused:

:cool:

anearthw

You should piece together whatever money you do have left and speak with a competent financial professional or even a trusted relative. BK over $5k and you don't realize how that is almost certainly a very foolish idea. Claiming that yet another college has ripped you off. Look, legal action can't always save you from overall poor decision-making in life. At some point, you'll need to recognize that you are the common factor here.

missanne123

You should piece together whatever money you do have left and speak with a competent financial professional or even a trusted relative. BK over $5k and you don't realize how that is almost certainly a very foolish idea. Claiming that yet another college has ripped you off. Look, legal action can't always save you from overall poor decision-making in life. At some point, you'll need to recognize that you are the common factor here.
Why are you so intent on pointing the finger at me ? I clearly explained that it was the college's fault that they put my student account on hold for an amount I did not owe. What part of that do you not understand? I was even issued an apology. So, why are you still blaming me ? I have a great g.p.a, did not drop, withdraw or fail any courses, and left in great standing to pursue higher education. There was no poor decision making on my behalf.

Proserpina

Why are you so intent on pointing the finger at me ? I clearly explained that it was the college's fault that they put my student account on hold for an amount I did not owe. What part of that do you not understand? I was even issued an apology. So, why are you still blaming me ? I have a great g.p.a, did not drop, withdraw or fail any courses, and left in great standing to pursue higher education. There was no poor decision making on my behalf.

That's not entirely accurate now is it? Your story morphed from "How can I avoid paying" into "Oh well I don't owe them anyway...in my opinion".

You go ahead with your good self and show these nasty meanies. Just don't bother coming back the next time you want to avoid paying your bills.

:cool:

(And yes, there will be a next time)

swalsh411

Regardless of the legitimacy of the debt, declaring bk over 5k is a very bad decision. I wouldn't be surprised if attorneys you talk to flat out refuse to help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">