• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy and House Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BoxerLady27

What is the name of your state?
Kansas
My finace filed bankrupcty this past spring. He had his court date on June 3rd. He has not recieved his discharge yet.
His house was included in his bankrupcty and he will not be keeping it. He did recieve relief from stay papers about one month ago.
My question is his father is very ill (so he wants to help his son one last time) and will be buying us a house (we will be like renters). My question is we are waiting for the mortage company to take possesion of the house but have heard anything??? He made his last payment in Febuarary. How long do these things usually take? We just feel uncomfortable leaving the house empty and want to stay until they take the house. We are just as to when to start looking for something else. Thanks.

Last edited:

BoxerLady27

Also he just told me ask after they give you notice that they will take possession don't you have a certain number of days to leave like 30-60? Thanks in advance for you help!

mymymy

BoxerLady27 said:
What is the name of your state?
Kansas
My finace filed bankrupcty this past spring. He had his court date on June 3rd. He has not recieved his discharge yet.
His house was included in his bankrupcty and he will not be keeping it. He did recieve relief from stay papers about one month ago.
My question is his father is very ill (so he wants to help his son one last time) and will be buying us a house (we will be like renters). My question is we are waiting for the mortage company to take possesion of the house but have heard anything??? He made his last payment in Febuarary. How long do these things usually take? We just feel uncomfortable leaving the house empty and want to stay until they take the house. We are just as to when to start looking for something else. Thanks.
So, he's looking at a discharge date sometime shortly after August 3rd and you have not received foreclosure papers yet, correct? I'm not 100% sure about Kansas.. but, the trend nationwide seems to be forfeiting the property about 30 days after the foreclosure is complete. Many people stay longer.. because the new owners ( how fast will it sell?) have to evict them. The house will sit empty for a time no matter what you do.. and really, it doesn't matter because it's not yours anymore. Start looking now because it won't be long and you'll have an easier time breaking away from this house after you've found a new "home". :)

BoxerLady27

Someone told me it often takes longer to foreclosure on manufactered homes because the have lower resale value. We need to stay where we are as long as possible for some health reasons and just curious as to how much time we may or may not have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">