• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued by an Attorney for Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rocky1105

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My father and his business partner hired Lawyer X to help represent their business in a legal matter. The suit is still ongoing, but they no longer receive the services because they believe the lawyer wasn't doing a very good job. Of a total of $23000 for services rendered, my father and his partner have paid $9000 of it and have a pending amount of $14000, the amount which he is being sued for.

In the beginning when the suit was filed by Lawyer X, it listed both my father and his partner as the defendant. But somewhere along the way, the partner's name dropped off and now it shows that my father owes the entire $14000. When looking up the case online, it states

07/10/2015 DISMISSAL WITH PREJUDICE FILED AS TO (Partner Name) AN
INDIVIDUAL ONLY
09/16/2015 REQUEST FOR ENTRY OF DEFAULT RECEIVED (Partner Name) AN
INDIVIDUAL ONLY

My father filed for bankruptcy a few years ago. It's not that he won't pay, he is unable to pay now. The court where the lawyer filed the judgement case says it is not a collections case and has been transferred to a regular civil court.

Not sure what my father can do now?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My father and his business partner hired Lawyer X to help represent their business in a legal matter. The suit is still ongoing, but they no longer receive the services because they believe the lawyer wasn't doing a very good job. Of a total of $23000 for services rendered, my father and his partner have paid $9000 of it and have a pending amount of $14000, the amount which he is being sued for.

In the beginning when the suit was filed by Lawyer X, it listed both my father and his partner as the defendant. But somewhere along the way, the partner's name dropped off and now it shows that my father owes the entire $14000. When looking up the case online, it states

07/10/2015 DISMISSAL WITH PREJUDICE FILED AS TO (Partner Name) AN
INDIVIDUAL ONLY
09/16/2015 REQUEST FOR ENTRY OF DEFAULT RECEIVED (Partner Name) AN
INDIVIDUAL ONLY

My father filed for bankruptcy a few years ago. It's not that he won't pay, he is unable to pay now. The court where the lawyer filed the judgement case says it is not a collections case and has been transferred to a regular civil court.

Not sure what my father can do now?
Depending on which type of bankruptcy he filed, he may be able to file again if there is even more outstanding debt.

He can speak to a bk attorney, but the attorney will want to be paid up front, completely, before even filing the initial petition.

Other than that, he may find that people are leery to work with him because he has essentially screwed the attorney who is having to sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">