• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boyfriend owes, would marrying him affect me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaf72

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Hi~
My boyfriend owes about $25,000 in credit card debt, all of it delinquent, and one judgement has been made against him already. This debt was incurred during the course of his marriage and divorce, however his ex's name wasn't on any of the accounts. Well, she got all the stuff, he got all the debt. He is looking into declaring bankruptcy. I have good credit, own a house worth $410,000 with a $299,000 mortgage. We live together now, and are talking about marriage. I am nervous, though, if we get married will I be liable for any of his debt? Could a lien be put on my home? His name is on nothing attached to me except for a joint checking which we use to pay household bills. Any info/input would be appreciated.

bigun

You've no liability. Just don't comingle assests like a joint bank account or put his name on the deed until he gets his situation straightened out.

jaf72

Thanks for your reply. We do have a joint checking account already... will this be an issue in a bankruptcy? It doesn't ever have a significant amount of money in it- we each contribute equal amounts each pay period to cover our monthly living expenses.

bigun

Probabbly won't be an issue. I was thinking if someone sued him they may well be able to levy a joint account.

Who's Liable?

If your BF DOES declare BK, go to the initial consultation with him and do not accept a "no" on this!

His BK MIGHT affect you, and it is in YOUR best interest to double check, triple check that his BK will NOT affect you. Go to several BK attorneys, and ask the same questions then compare the answers...

Remember, it is in YOUR best interest to determine whether or not his BK will affect you. Don't fall for the "it's my issue", "it doesn't affect you", etc. BS!

When you marry him, you will in a sense be taking on his debt and everything that goes with it! Collection calls at all times of the day, collection letters, etc!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">