• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can this debt be discharged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mason85

Can this debt be discharged?

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I'm considering filing for bankruptcy. But before I do, I'm curious as to what debts can be discharged and what debts cannot. I have around 6k in credit card debt which I'm sure will get discharged.

I also have about 25k in student loan debt. Now I know that normally that is not discharged. But I've also heard that it can be discharged after 7 years. If that (or something similar is the case), some of that debt is over 7 years old. Some is as young as 4 years. Would the debt from 7+ years be discharged and the younger debt not?

I want to file without a lawyer, so hopefully someone can answer this for me. Thanks!

Last edited:

M

mason85

One other question

I have a car with no lein, 87 Honda, not even worth $1000 (probably closer to $500) that I use for work. Would that be an asset they might try to take? I don't have any other assets, at all.

Last edited:
P

planner

That 7 years stuff regarding students loans is old law. Your stuck with it, unless you can prove it creates an undue hardship.

type; "undue hardship" "student loan" bankruptcy in google to some research.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">