• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a discharged debt still encumber a professional license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

regularguy3

I got sick. My Bar Association had to appoint a trustee to ensure continuity. The trustee charged $40,000. My state's high court ordered I be reinstated upon payment of the sum ("restitution"). I filed for bankruptcy. My Bar Association did not attend the meeting of the creditors and did not object to the discharge. No unethical conduct is alleged.

Can a debt that has been discharged in federal court still encumber my law license?

Here is what the state "judgement" looks like:

STATE SUPREME COURT

SEALED

IN THE MATTER OF JOHN DOE, )
UNAVAILABLE ATTORNEY MEMBER )

The Bar Association and John Doe's stipulated reinstatement criteria is hereby ACCEPTED.

John Doe shall become eligible for reinstatement upon paying restitution to the clients compensation fund for the cost of trustee counsel.

IT IS HEREBY ORDERED,

COURT

I CANNOT EMPHASIS THIS ENOUGH. NO FRAUD, BREACH OF FIDUCIARY DUTY, OR DECEIT IS ALLEGED. MY STATE SIMPLY PAYS FOR ALL LAWYER RELATED EXPENSES OUT OF THE "CLIENT'S COMPENSATION FUND." THERE IS NO OTHER EMERGENCY EXPENSE FUND.

quincy

I got sick. My Bar Association had to appoint a trustee to ensure continuity. The trustee charged $40,000. My state's high court ordered I be reinstated upon payment of the sum ("restitution"). I filed for bankruptcy. My Bar Association did not attend the meeting of the creditors and did not object to the discharge. No unethical conduct is alleged.

Can a debt that has been discharged in federal court still encumber my law license?

Here is what the state "judgement" looks like:

STATE SUPREME COURT

SEALED

IN THE MATTER OF JOHN DOE, )
UNAVAILABLE ATTORNEY MEMBER )

The Bar Association and John Doe's stipulated reinstatement criteria is hereby ACCEPTED.

John Doe shall become eligible for reinstatement upon paying restitution to the clients compensation fund for the cost of trustee counsel.

IT IS HEREBY ORDERED,

COURT

I CANNOT EMPHASIS THIS ENOUGH. NO FRAUD, BREACH OF FIDUCIARY DUTY, OR DECEIT IS ALLEGED. MY STATE SIMPLY PAYS FOR ALL LAWYER RELATED EXPENSES OUT OF THE "CLIENT'S COMPENSATION FUND." THERE IS NO OTHER EMERGENCY EXPENSE FUND.
What state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">