• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cant Get Credit Reports from AnnualCreditReport.com

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohio

I'll be needing to get some financing soon (and possibly looking into the bankruptcy route to clear things up ahead of time). I figured the first smart move would be to acquire my credit report and see what the damage is. I heart that AnnualCreditReport.com was the only official source sanctioned by the US government, so I started there. However, all three requests were denied for one reason or another (saying that couldn't process it based on the info I provided or that I would have to send a request in the mail).

I did finally call one of the 800 numbers that was provided and make the request over the phone from all three agencies. However, it said a hard copy would not arrive in the mail for another 15 days. I have no intention of waiting around over two weeks, so can anyone recommend a good source where I can order my credit report and instantly get the results? It does not have to be free, I'm willing to pay for it.

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ohio

I'll be needing to get some financing soon (and possibly looking into the bankruptcy route to clear things up ahead of time). I figured the first smart move would be to acquire my credit report and see what the damage is. I heart that AnnualCreditReport.com was the only official source sanctioned by the US government, so I started there. However, all three requests were denied for one reason or another (saying that couldn't process it based on the info I provided or that I would have to send a request in the mail).

I did finally call one of the 800 numbers that was provided and make the request over the phone from all three agencies. However, it said a hard copy would not arrive in the mail for another 15 days. I have no intention of waiting around over two weeks, so can anyone recommend a good source where I can order my credit report and instantly get the results? It does not have to be free, I'm willing to pay for it.

Thanks
The TV is absolutely rife with commercials for places to get your credit report.

Yours is not a legal question.

ETA: You've gone a long time with out paying...what's 2 more weeks in the overall scheme of things?

racer72

The site you mentioned only provides your score, there is no creditor information. You have to pay for that from that site and all others. The hard copy you need to wait for will have all that info and it's free.

Zigner

The site you mentioned only provides your score, there is no creditor information. You have to pay for that from that site and all others. The hard copy you need to wait for will have all that info and it's free.
That is incorrect. One can log in and get full copies of the credit report from each of the 3 bureaus immediately, provided that one can prove their identity to the satisfaction of the automated system. If the automated system is unable to verify the identity of the requestor, then s/he will be required to take extra steps (as was the OP.)

single317dad

Ohio

Thanks
The bolded is exactly what you need to do, as you were instructed by the website. Annualcreditreport.com is a commercial entity operated by the 5 consumer credit bureaus (3 big ones plus Innovis and Chex Systems). The site is their response to the federal mandate that all consumers be entitled to one free full credit report every year. If one is unable to get their free report(s) online, it is likely because they have moved in the past two years or could not verify their identity for another reason. It wasn't so long ago that all credit reports were mailed; that you may have to wait for a report in the mail in 2015 is no great tragedy.

racer72

That is incorrect. One can log in and get full copies of the credit report from each of the 3 bureaus immediately, provided that one can prove their identity to the satisfaction of the automated system. If the automated system is unable to verify the identity of the requestor, then s/he will be required to take extra steps (as was the OP.)
Not the last time I tried. All I got was the score. The site wanted me to pay for my credit history. Or call each of the credit bureaus and wait 2 to 3 weeks for the full history.

Zigner

Not the last time I tried. All I got was the score. The site wanted me to pay for my credit history. Or call each of the credit bureaus and wait 2 to 3 weeks for the full history.
Interesting - maybe they cracked down due to identity theft of late. I've never had a problem in the past, but now it wants me to do it by mail too. I stand corrected.

single317dad

For me it has been the opposite every year. Full reports from all 3 bureaus are free, but Equifax will hardly let me finish their part of the process without agreeing to buy my FICO score.

You might check to see if you're being forwarded to a different site by some malware on your computer. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are a multitude of sites with very similar names that are intended to confuse consumers into paying or data mining.

On the other hand, the old "free credit report.com" (insert catchy jingle here) was highly misleading and was sanctioned by the FTC and made to stop their misleading practices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeCreditScore.com

Interesting - maybe they cracked down due to identity theft of late. I've never had a problem in the past, but now it wants me to do it by mail too. I stand corrected.
I just got my reports last week and had to do two of my three by mail. I assumed it was because I moved less than two years ago, because that's the last time I had to get them by mail.

FlyingRon

Of course, if he can't prove his identity to freecreditreport.com, it's dubious if he's going to convince a pay site as well, but he can certainly try Credit Karma. It is indeed "free" to the consumer. They receive their revenue from selling advertisements and other data to businesses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">