• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 13

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAmAnda

Does anyone know if / when chapter 7 OR 13 will include student debt? I began with $120,000 and now have $63k left. I'm drowning in other debt because my husband became abusive and was arrested and I am caring for our twin babies completely alone.

In addition to the student loans, I have $38,000 in credit card / loan debt accumulated in the marriage (in my name unfortunately), and a vehicle with approximately $16000 left on the loan.

Proserpina

Does anyone know if / when chapter 7 OR 13 will include student debt? I began with $120,000 and now have $63k left. I'm drowning in other debt because my husband became abusive and was arrested and I am caring for our twin babies completely alone.

In addition to the student loans, I have $38,000 in credit card / loan debt accumulated in the marriage (in my name unfortunately), and a vehicle with approximately $16000 left on the loan.
It's very difficult to accomplish (it's actually easier to discharge taxes - and get the release of the lien - than getting student loans discharged).

Read here: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/student-loan-debt-bankruptcy.html

Still, you might squeak through with "undue hardship". See a bankruptcy attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">