• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 13 Discharge and Credit Reporting Errors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shelby123

In November, 2016 my chapter 13 bankruptcy was discharged. In that bankruptcy were two student loans. Up until the filing, I never paid late and the payments were to be suspended until the discharge was complete. After the discharge my credit ratings were pretty decent (Equifax = 705 and Transunion = 678).

On December 2, 2016 I contacted Wells Fargo (where loans are held) to start repaying the loan again. Up until then, the credit report just had a comment that the loan was in BK13 wage earner's plan with a $0 balance. Now, all of the sudden, Wells Fargo reported to Transunion that they wrote off/charged off the balance and included the amount owed. By doing this, they once again killed my credit score (back down to 563).

I called to dispute, but of course got the run around from the nitwit who took my call. I told him that it was part of the bankruptcy and shouldn't be reported that way.

Is there anything that I can do to fix this? Are they even allowed to do this, as I was never late or sent to collections on the account?

I am at a loss, and am desperate for help.

Thanks!

justalayman

What was scheduled to happen to the loans from the bankruptcy? Were the discharged? Were they part of your payment plan? Something else?

justalayman

They were part of the payment plan. The trustee made payments to them the entire time.
So what was the plan after your BK was discharged? Was your amount supposedly totally paid off at the time of the discharge so you would have a zero balance?

If payments were only suspended, why was the trustee making payments to them?

If the debt was discharged and the remaining balance is $0 then it is an accurate report and would make sense showing up now since the remainder would be charged off at the conclusion of your bankruptcy.

I think you need to refer to your bankruptcy filing and discharge and possibly speak to the trustee or your attorney if you used one if you expected some different result with that account through your BK.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">