• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 13 and mortgage pmt behind one month

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bkeeth

What is the name of your state? California

I filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy August of last year. I have been paying my mortgage and bankruptcy every month. My sister lives with me and she has been writing all the checks. Unfortunately, she didn't realize that she didn't send the check to the mortgage company for August. I can't get a hold of my lawyer and I need to know what to do. Can I still make that payment even if it is late to the mortgage company? Do I have to contact the trustee? What can I do? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Elmo-1

You need to call the Mortgage company asap. The stay doesn't allow them to contact you in an attempt to collect a debt, but you can contact them.

If you're able to get them by phone, explain what happened and ask for their recommendations to make up the missed payment. You need to do this before a motion's filed for relief from stay and foreclosure is started.

If you can't get in touch with their Bk dept - and sometimes that's difficult - wire in (Western Union's Quick Collect) the missed payment along with the late fee. Make sure you have the correct address for the wire payment. Make your September payment as usual. Keep a copy of the Western Union payment receipt.

If you can't find the correct wiring address, include both payments with your September mailing and include a note explaining the oversight. Don't forget to include the late fee.

Call your attorney first thing Monday and let him know what's going on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">