• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

chapter 7, no attorney.. help??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angiedoughill

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
I am filing chapter 7 myself, without an attorney.
we mainly have hospital bills, dr bills, a couple judgements, and an IRS debt from many years ago.
my question is, I know we can file IRS debt as long as its over 4 years and we are current with them, other than that. on what form is this reported?
also, the same question for the judgement I have. what form does it go on? I am in NC

LdiJ

we mainly have hospital bills, dr bills, a couple judgements, and an IRS debt from many years ago.
my question is, I know we can file IRS debt as long as its over 4 years and we are current with them, other than that. on what form is this reported?
also, the same question for the judgement I have. what form does it go on? I am in NC
Filing a bankruptcy without an attorney is a very risky things to do. I would not recommend it.

Proserpina

The first thing I'm going to suggest is that you add up everything - bk might not actually be the best option depending on your debt burden.

Next, about that taxes. I'm not going to harp on about needing an attorney; you DO, but that's not going to change the fact that you can't afford an attorney. So, if you go here bkforum.com (it's been recommended here before) and register there you'll find not only a wealth of information but also several attorneys who post.

Obviously the tax debt can be listed in a couple of places - what you've got to do is figure out whether it goes on sched. D, E or F. Because of your individual circumstances I can't say which one is appropriate; I have no idea what your assets are, no idea whether there's an outstanding lien against your real property, and no idea if it would or would not be a priority claim.

Proserpina

Filing a bankruptcy without an attorney is a very risky things to do. I would not recommend it.

Ditto. But if OP is adamant they can't afford it...well, that's the situation. Heck we can't even say whether or not OP would actually pass the means test for Ch. 7.

LdiJ

Ditto. But if OP is adamant they can't afford it...well, that's the situation. Heck we can't even say whether or not OP would actually pass the means test for Ch. 7.
While this thread is a bit "dead"...I can say that from unfortunate experience, bankruptcy attorneys generally charge quite modest fees...and they are truly worth it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">