• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 7 - reaffirming car loan questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustBroke16

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Recent filed chapter 7, post 341 meeting. I'm considering reaffirming my car loan. It's fairly new an in good shape. I'm current, never late. At the 341 meeting my attorney already had the papers and we signed. Now I've learned I could've tried pay and stay with the understanding they can take the car back at anytime.Ive recently learned there may be a lay off at my job some time next year (reorganization). I don't want to ruin my credit before we have a chance to rebuild.

Can any PLEASE give some insight?? I'm losing faith in attorney because he wasn't really clear on how it worked. I learned a little by searching the web. When I told him this, he said everyone's case is different and the WFDS will take the car back if I didn't sign. And that I should stay off the web searching things like this. So I felt pressured and we signed. We only have one car and will need another. My husband's car was totaled in car accident early this year.

I emailed them early this morning asking for the not to submit it to the court or that I may need to rescind. Have I shot myself in the foot by signing. I'm thinking now the bank will definitely take the car. I just want to see if I do can the "pay and stay". This is so stressful and I'm so afraid of making more costly mistakes.

Sorry for rambling. Thank you in advance for the advice.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Recent filed chapter 7, post 341 meeting. I'm considering reaffirming my car loan. It's fairly new an in good shape. I'm current, never late. At the 341 meeting my attorney already had the papers and we signed. Now I've learned I could've tried pay and stay with the understanding they can take the car back at anytime.Ive recently learned there may be a lay off at my job some time next year (reorganization). I don't want to ruin my credit before we have a chance to rebuild.

Can any PLEASE give some insight?? I'm losing faith in attorney because he wasn't really clear on how it worked. I learned a little by searching the web. When I told him this, he said everyone's case is different and the WFDS will take the car back if I didn't sign. And that I should stay off the web searching things like this. So I felt pressured and we signed. We only have one car and will need another. My husband's car was totaled in car accident early this year.

I emailed them early this morning asking for the not to submit it to the court or that I may need to rescind. Have I shot myself in the foot by signing. I'm thinking now the bank will definitely take the car. I just want to see if I do can the "pay and stay". This is so stressful and I'm so afraid of making more costly mistakes.

Sorry for rambling. Thank you in advance for the advice.
If you are afraid of making costly mistakes, AND you need a car, then you need to be listening to your attorney. You may have shot yourself in the foot by that email you sent this morning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">