• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charge off a court judgement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I have a question regarding what is charged off in a Bankruptcy. I have a friend who was married to a guy and she got him to sign a pre-nup and promissory note that put him in a bad spot for when they divorced less than 2 years later. He had signed a Cosent Decree saying he would pay 550 a month for 10 years he didn't and she enforced well today the judge accepted their notarized settlement of 350 a month for 10 years and entered it as a Judgement (not Alimony or Spousal support) he said rather than pay her a dime he will file Bankruptcy. Can that debt be charged off in a Bankruptcy, there is nothing to secure the debt to, and she agreed to not make it a garnishment in the settlement since she had no idea that this was his plan. A bankruptcy wouldn't hurt him in anyway-- financially all he has in his name is a car loan and a few low limit credit cards, I do know he has student loans but from what i understand those and his child support cant be charged off anyway.

Gregeney

If this payment was agreed and signed in a pre-nup or settlement agreement, he can expect a fight if he tries to get it discharged. In my opinion, he would likely lose that fight. The judge that ordered the judgment simply enforced the prior agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">