• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

in collections for bill that isn't mine, please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Latsric

When I recently applied for a credit card I was turned down. After obtaining a copy of my credit report and asking the collection agencies what they were for, I have found out that they are for electric bills that mother put in my name while I was living somewhere else. I had no idea that she had done this. the balance that is outstanding is about 800 dollars, but i don't have it to pay it. I'm in college with nothing but a work study job at this moment and i can't even get a student credit card because of of these collections, even when i had a better a job. I don't know what the proceedures are for remedying this. Do i have to press charges against her or something or is there another way? anyone who knows anything please help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

The only way out of this is to:

1. Sue your mother in Small Claims court in the town where the billing originated.

2. Once you obtain a judgment against her, have those judgment papers attached to your credit report with your written explanation. This way, future creditors will know what happened, and won't hold back from allowing you credit.

Then, you can begin collecting on the judgment from your mother. Get yourself a book from your bookstore about Small Claims court procedures, do's and don'ts, and also how to collect a judgment.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">