• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt of Court & Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

freedom54

Help! In our divorce I agreed to pay 50% of a handful of bills, plus $1500 in attorney's fees. I was supposed to do this within 6 months, but my ex-husband hit me right up for a child-support garnishment (yes he received custody, thanks to Missouri's great laws, and no money to hire an attorney and the fact that I was terrified of him) and I haven't had any money to take care of the other bills. Now, he has filed contempt of court charges. My attorney says to get it paid, but I don't have the money. Can I file bankruptcy on any or all of the items in the divorce decree, including the attorney fees? Can I file bankruptcy on the 2nd home mortgage and that kind of stuff? My attorney says that if I don't pay, I could go to jail. What would that prove, as I would then be able to pay my child support of $1400 a month? Plus, now I am spending money on an attorney to handle all of this for me.

If you have any advice please let me know.

Thanks,
Michelle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">