• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contingent, unliquidated, disputed on schedules... what does it mean??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WorryWort

What is the name of your state? TX

In the schedules for filing chap 7 bk, are columns titled contingent, unliquidated, disputed. My book doesn't go into details, but rather suggests I speak with the trustee about how to check each item in the rows.

I'd like to know more about these headings: what they mean, how one should use them, etc. I'd rather have the correct column checked before I get into my 341 meeting and feel like I'm guessing...or worse, have the trustee tell me he/she cannot help me!

Thanks for your feedback.

Ladynred

"Contingent - the claim depends on some event that hasn't yet occurred and may never occur. For example, if you cosigned on a secured loan, you won't be liable unless the principal debtor defaults. Your liability as a cosigner is contingent upon the default.

Unliquidated - This means the debt may exist, but the exact amount hasn't been determined.

Disputed - A claim is disputed if you and the creditor do not agree about the existence or amount of the debt. "

(From the Nolo Press book "How to File For Chapter 7 Bankruptcy")

W

WorryWort

Thank you. I don't believe any of those apply in my case.

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">