• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card applications and chapter 7

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rmhxx

What is the name of your state? oregon

as a student I filled out some credit card applications with the info that I owned my own home and had a higher income than was the case...my credit was very good up to that point, so I got some cards with very high limits. I was able to make the payments for about a year (due to "introductory interest rates") but now can't keep up. Will my debt be disallowed in a chapter 7 due to the deception in my application? Please help, thanks...

D

dorenephilpot

It's possible that they might raise the issue that you fraudulently obtained credit.

However, it's possible they will not.

Depends on how much debt is there, how vigilant they are and how much time and money they're willing to put into the fight.

They would have to show that you lied intentionally in an effort to defraud them and that they would never have extended you the credit if you had told the truth.

If your credit was good up to that point, they might have given you the credit anyway, and that's what you would argue in your defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">