• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crooked Chiropractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

farmgirldll

Hi, I'm new to the board. I don't even know if I am on the right topic. Three years ago, my husband and I were in auto accidents which, by the advice of our attorney, had a chiropractor treat us for most of our injuried. Our cases have since settled, and the chiropractor got most of our PIP and claims we went over that amount by a few thousand dollars! We were never notified until we were that far over and then he refused further treatment. Fine by us, since he didn't do anything for us. Now, he has filed civil complaints for the supposed amount we went over, even though he got most of our PIP. How can a doctor allow a bill to go that much over without taking into consideration that maybe the patient won't be able to pay?? He never told us we were that much over until he had to (after many attempts by our attorney) send a copy of our bills to our lawyer. We are scheduled to go to civil court on Thursday in which he is asking for the full amount of this bill plus interest. We cannot afford to pay any of this. I also might add that we would not have let our bills exceed our PIP if we had known we had gone over. Our bills exceed our income as it is and cannot afford even a payment plan. He was offered a settlement to pay him 50% of what we owed him at the time of our settlements which he refused. Please help.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Your chiropractor owed you a duty to tell you charges, but you also should have had the foresight to get itemized bills as you went along.

I do not know what will happen. It all depends on the circumstances surrounding the accident and your relationship details with this chiropractor. Just make sure your atty paints this person as very dishonest and paints you as the victim.

F

farmgirldll

At that time, we were trusting the chiropractor. He had a very casual atmosphere in his office. Never gave out appointment cards nor did he give receipts when you left his office. He said he'd let us know when our insurance ran out. His secretary went on maternity leave for 6 months and his billing got way behind. She told me (her and I had gotten to be friendly) and he had mentioned that he had alot of office work that needed to be done. So, it was not our fault that he did not notify us that we had exceeded our benefits. Our attorney knows of this also. My attorney will not be going with us. He thinks that he does not need to be there. Great attorney, huh? He said if we do not approve of the outcome, we will appeal. Can this chiropractor garnish my husband's wages or do anything to him? I have nothing in my name, not the house, car or anything. I work part-time evenings and don't even bring home $100 a week. We have two kids and one on the way and as it is now, our monthly bills exceed our income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">