• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Didn't notify "ex" prior...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?TX

Another question.... we didn't file for divorce until last month, we live in different states.... Should I notified my (ex) husband that I was filing for bankruptcy?? there where no "joint" accounts... he was just listed as a user on my credit card... but, we where married for 15 years....

Ladynred

Should I notified my (ex) husband that I was filing for bankruptcy?? there where no "joint" accounts..
You don't have to notify him of anything, but you SHOULD include HIM as a creditor on your schedules. Since TX is a community property state, you also need to be sure you list him as co-debtor on all debts incurred during your marriage just to cover ALL the bases.

Even though he was listed as just an authorized user, in a community property state he would still be held liable for those bills.

Another questin... please

I moved to TX 2 years ago. He still lives in Fl. Our divorce will be done in Fl. Therefore, should I of still put him down on the bankruptcy?

Thanks again!

Ladynred

You should still put him down as a creditor, yes, its a fairly standard practice. If he's not JOINT on any of the debts you'll be filing on, then you don't have to list him as co-debtor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">