• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability & bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

54ton56kat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN
I am on disability and will be recieving back disability pay later this year. We need to file bankruptcy and I want to do so before money gets here. My husband says to wait. Who is right?
Also I have a decision against me in court that says garnishment of other than personal earnings and two that say stay. Can they take any of my social security disability back pay?:confused:

BanksSuck

Federal law protects your Social Security retirement, disability and SSI benefits. Section 207 of the Social Security Act prohibits creditors from being able attach, garnish or levy money from Social Security. You would be on the hook for alimony and child support however.

It is advisable to keep your SSDI in a separate bank account - preferably in a different bank.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">