• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discovery of assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jenga

I was supposed to go to court a year ago, apparently, and then last month. I never received anything about it. I don't live where I used to and don't get all the mail.

Then the other day I get something I have to sign for that says I have to be in court tomorrow on discovery of assets (I have none).

If I don't go, will they really put a warrant out? I'm going to a bankruptcy lawyer on Thursday and plan to declare it. What happens if I don't go?

D

dorenephilpot

No one is going to jail you for not having the money to pay the judgment, but you MIGHT go to jail for blowing off an order to appear in court.

Go and tell them that you have no assets, if that is true, and that you plan to file a BK.

There might be a judgment issued against you at that time, but it takes awhile for any collections work to be done, which will buy you a little time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">