• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a Bankruptcy Attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chaotican

I've filed a disability discrimination claim against my employer. My employer has declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy, but they are a huge company and are expected to recover. The bankruptcy has scared off private lawyers, but the DFEH has taken the case. A case worker from the DFEH told me to consult with a bankruptcy attorney and file my claim in the bankruptcy court. (The company and the claim is in California, and the bankruptcy has been filed in Delaware.)

My question: Do I really need to hire an attorney for this? If it is fairly straightforward, I'd rather do it myself and save the attorney fees. If I could jepordize my position by missing something, then I will go ahead and hire an attorney.

Please let me know if I would be foolish to attempt to do this myself! Thank you very much.

T

toodlebug27

Definitely get a lawyer or you will lose your case. The other side will have a lawyer and you will not be able to match his/her skill and knowledge and will get very frustrated. Believe me, I have seen this happen many times.

C

ctwdjim

do I need a BK attorney?

Hi Chaotican! I didn't recognize the DFEH? I also filed a dis-crimination claim this year, against a co. I was applying foe em-ployment with. I filed with the EEOC - equal employment oppor-tunity commission, of AZ. my claim was for discrimination due to disability, age and gender!!! I had a strong case, but they ruled that the HR department was just disorganized, not discrimin-atory! I still have the option to file my claim in federal court, of which I am going to recind. the stress & agravation just isn't worth it to me. hey, you might thrive on stress!:) if your employ-er is filing a bk11, and it is grantedto them, I believe that to be good news for you. your financial award should go into the estate the trustee sets up, and stand a good chance of getting some of your award payed to you. there is a specific order in which the trustee divides the monies collected from your employ-er, but where on that list you would be, I don't know. sorry. that is something a good bk attorney should be able to answer for you. you could possibly get a free 1st. time consultation from a good bk attorney, which might be just what you need to help you make a qualified decision in this serious situation you have.
best wishes!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">