• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does my personal Bankruptcy effect my ability to rent an apartment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sunsneak

State of Florida

I plan on filing chapter 7 soon because i have not been able to find work for 6 months.

Or I may join the Navy and file Chapter 13.

I want to know if i will be able to rent a place with no problems or will this prevent me.

Thanks

S

Starre71

Probably so. Most landlord pull a credit report as part of the application screening process. You may be able to explain your situation, or go with a landlord who uses references (previous landlords, rather than a credit report) I'm not familiar w/ the laws regarding this for your state, but in my state, there are a lot of private landlords who don't pull reports, but rather charge 1st, last mos, + a sec. deposit before renting. Good luck.

C

Cmort

Bankruptcy and Mil Service

Be careful concerning your plans to file bankruptcy and joining the Navy, As a retired Army recruiter I can tell you that you cannot join any branch of service while in bankruptcy proceedings. On Chapter 7 that would mean until fully discharged. If going through a Chapter 13, tht would mean going throught the total repayment schedule and being discharged. In a Chapter 13 that could be several years before you would be eligable for service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">