• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

don't know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrduckcheese

Ok here goes, my ex wife destroyed my credit behind my back so I divorced her but was left with 30k in credit cards. I fell very sick from stress and health causes me to rack up 24000 in medical bills. I recovered and got a good job making about 5000 a month, only problem is I needed a truck that could pull a certain amount of weight. We'll my credit was crap so my mom CO signed. 3 years of perfect payments and I got laid off. Needless to say I'm screwed. I won't employment making only 2000 a month. My truck note is 700 not counting insurance and has plus regular bills. The truck is worth 17k and I owe 27000. I'm out of options and the creditors want it back. My mom cannot afford to pay it and neither can mine. My mom just signed as a favor to help me out because of my credit going down because of my ex wife. Talked to a lawyer for a free consultation and he recommended chapter 7 for me but my mom would still be responsible for the debt and she can't pay it. Can anyone think of something I could do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok here goes, my ex wife destroyed my credit behind my back so I divorced her but was left with 30k in credit cards. I fell very sick from stress and health causes me to rack up 24000 in medical bills. I recovered and got a good job making about 5000 a month, only problem is I needed a truck that could pull a certain amount of weight. We'll my credit was crap so my mom CO signed. 3 years of perfect payments and I got laid off. Needless to say I'm screwed. I won't employment making only 2000 a month. My truck note is 700 not counting insurance and has plus regular bills. The truck is worth 17k and I owe 27000. I'm out of options and the creditors want it back. My mom cannot afford to pay it and neither can mine. My mom just signed as a favor to help me out because of my credit going down because of my ex wife. Talked to a lawyer for a free consultation and he recommended chapter 7 for me but my mom would still be responsible for the debt and she can't pay it. Can anyone think of something I could do.
You will need to find employment...

LdiJ

Sell everything you can possibly sell to pay off the truck, including the truck. You are destroying your mother's credit...just like your ex wife destroyed yours.

Talked to a lawyer for a free consultation and he recommended chapter 7 for me but my mom would still be responsible for the debt and she can't pay it. Can anyone think of something I could do.
In addition to the two suggestions. . . but only if you can afford it. . .

Chapter 13 - pay vehicle in full (including contract rate of interest) over a 5 year Plan thus protecting the co-signer. See 11 USC 1301 - the co-debtor stay.

Since you have already paid 3 years for the vehicle, I will assume you have 2 years left. The 13 will allow you to stretch that to 5 years. Problem: once you factor in interest at the contract rate (whatever that is), legal fees and the Chapter 13 trustee fee, your Plan payment could be in the $600.00 per month range. Discuss this with a local bk attny to get a better picture as to the monthly payment. It may still be something you can afford even with your reduced income.

Des.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">