• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Electric company threatening to cut off my services if I don't pay my wife's old bala

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vakenadaydi

Hello all. I'm residing in the state of Tennesse. My wife has an old balance which at the time when we where going to move was just too much for us to pay. So we decided to turn on the services on my name. With the busy schedule that I have I wanted to make my wife an authorized user on my account. When I got on the phone with them they asked me for my wife's social security I thought it was a bit odd but went ahead and gave it to them. Silly me.. she then told me that their is an old account with that name that has a past due balance and that they would need the full amount or my services would get cut off. Can they legally do this? Can they cut off my services and force me to pay what she owes even tho is a completely different account with a different name? This maybe worth mentioning. The guy also mentioned that they were willing to split the whole balance in 7 payments every month.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello all. I'm residing in the state of Tennesse. My wife has an old balance which at the time when we where going to move was just too much for us to pay. So we decided to turn on the services on my name. With the busy schedule that I have I wanted to make my wife an authorized user on my account. When I got on the phone with them they asked me for my wife's social security I thought it was a bit odd but went ahead and gave it to them. Silly me.. she then told me that their is an old account with that name that has a past due balance and that they would need the full amount or my services would get cut off. Can they legally do this? Can they cut off my services and force me to pay what she owes even tho is a completely different account with a different name? This maybe worth mentioning. The guy also mentioned that they were willing to split the whole balance in 7 payments every month.
Yeah, perfectly legal. You're not going to duck out of what you owe by playing a shell game.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">