• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing bankruptcy of previous debts prior to remarriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dachsylvr

What is the name of your state?Kansas
This situation has a complicated twist...I have been remarried for nearly 10 months and am planning to file for chapter 7 bankruptcy within the month. All of the debts are from my previous marriage (over $30K). I am on social security disability and am overwhelmed by the mountain of debt. Although the divorce court divided the debts between my ex-spouse and myself (Texas), the creditors don't care what the divorce court said. My new spouse is a government employee with a high security clearance. As a government employee, he could lose his job because he has to have his personal financial information on my bankruptcy and it will go into his employee file once they learn of my bankruptcy. I am told my bankruptcy won't affect him and that my creditors can't go after him for repayment of my old debts. However, my bankruptcy can get him fired or prevent him from any further advancements on the job and he is only two years away from retirement. This is based on the from SF-85P/SF-86P forms for government employment. Do we need to get a divorce to protect his job and reputation? I am suffering terribly from anxiety over this situation as this seems to be his solution to the problem. We have no current or past debts together. PLEASE HELP ME! Thank you sincerely.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">