• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dunk35054

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

If I file chapter 7 bankruptcy, what restrictions will I have in future purchases, i.e. financing a car or house? What affect will this filing be in getting a job?

bigun

Expecy credit to be harder to come by with high interest for a couple of years post bk.
Some employers do run credit checks and might not hire you due to bk. But, they won't say that of course.

cosine

Expecy credit to be harder to come by with high interest for a couple of years post bk.
Some employers do run credit checks and might not hire you due to bk. But, they won't say that of course.
A friend of mine that recently retired from his bank job (commercial loan officer) said that his bank doesn't hire people who have unpaid debts, but does hire some people who have discharged it in bankruptcy. They consider people with big debts to be a greater risk. Apparently it is customary for financial institutions, and others when the job involves handling money or making expenditure decisions, to run credit checks.

Another friend who went through BK a few years back said that he got his first post-BK7 credit card offer just 3 months after the discharge. Now that was back in the day of banks pushing credit on everyone. Since people who have done BK can't do BK again for a few years (varies depending on type), they do have that aspect in favor of granting them some credit. But the limit will be low until you re-establish a record of paying debts promptly. Given the credit and risk issues today, it is likely to be a lot longer before someone post BK can get unsecured credit. Get a debit card at a different bank than the one you keep most money at and don't put more money in that account than you can afford to be without for 3 months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">