• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing which chapter bankruptcy & how?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sbenson

I am common-law married in Colorado and have not yet filed for a divorce, but want to file bankruptcy for just myself not my husband. I have a considerable amount of credit card and charge card debit that I have accumulated while with him, but only in my name(except for one which is very small). We also have a home and a car in both our names.

*Does anyone know what chapter I need to file or how to file without effecting him?

I am signing a quit claim deed for our home which is mortgaged because I do not want any of the profits from the sell or rent (whichever we do) of it, but he is planning on signing our car over to me which is also not completely paid off.

What would be the best way to file and how?:confused:

bigun

Do not start signing property away prior to filing bk. Get yourself to a lawyer before you do anything. One of the questions on the bk form is have you transfered any property recently. If you say yes, the trustee will want the full details and once he/she sees these transactions, they'll void them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">