• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

frozen bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

funkygourmet

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Eight months ago i hired an attorney to handle my Chapter 7 case. Mistake #1, I paid the gentleman in cash and he promised to "take care of the situation". After repeated phone calls, he said he was working on it. Last month I received a phone call from a friend of mine who works at the bank and said i should come their immediately. To my surprise after depositing an $8000.00 check, my bank account was frozen due to another bank who i owed money to. I immediately took the legal paper work to my attorney and he said that he would file for an "exemption" for this dollar amount. My question to you is that, "will i really be able to get this money back? or is this attorney giving me the run around again?" It has been a month since all the paper work has been filed and I still don't have a court date?

Thank you for your time...Julie

nailtech

did you get a receipt?? and if he's not doing anything for your case you can report him to the bar association if he rips you off...

then again he could be doing what our lawyer did to us, waiting until he got enough people to file so he only made one trip to the courthouse, guess it saved him money that way and we felt he was not taking our case seriously enough but in the end it was us being impatient and scared... but 8 months is a long time... it only takes about 4 total to be finished... and approx, a month to 45 days to receive your 341 meeting date after filing... good luck...

this is just my educated guess, and its not a legal education...

T

Taffycat

Are you saying it's been a month since you filed the paperwork with your attorney, or a month since your attorney actually filed in your behalf?

IF he/she has in fact filed for you, your 341 meeting should be anytime now, or within the next two weeks.

I would imagine that you could contact the Clerk of Courts Office to determine whether or not the attorney has actualy filed yet.

I could be wrong, but it is *my*understanding that the Clerks Office is who notifies you of the 341 date, not the attorney's office. (Senior members, is this correct?)

If he hasn't filed (after 8 months) *I* would consult with a different attorney. Initial consultations are usually free.

Taffy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">