• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had my 341 Meeting Today

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

melissa4403

What is the name of your state? wisconsin
I wanted you to all know I had my meeting of creditors today. Things went really good. I felt I need to write how things went since the meeting of creditors is such a big part of the bankruptcy.
I am here to tell you that you should not get worked up about it.
My husband and I got to the building around 8:10 a.m., we met our lawyer outside of the room where the trustee was in. At 8:30 a.m. we went into the room and sat down with all of the other people. The trustee posted a list of all of the names of the individuals who were suppose to be there and the time they were schuduled to be called. We were third to be called on the list....this list was long! About 50 people on this list.
We were called and asked to raise our right hand. We promised to tell the truth.

The questions:

Is the bankruptcy paper work honest at the time you signed them? (we said yes)
Where do you live? ( we stated our home address)
How did we come up with the value of our home? ( we stated from your county and city taxes)
Asked if we planned on keeping our home? ( we said yes)
Asked if we planned on keeping our car/truck loan? ( we said yes)
Asked if we were current with our payments? ( we said yes)
Asked if we had any other bonds besides from my husband's 401K plan? ( we stated No)
Asked to explain a trust fund I am listed on? ( I stated the trust fund is unfunded as we speak on the event of my father's death of his assests and insurance will go in the trust. But at this time...the trust is unfunded)
Explained that if we get any gifts of money, inheritance or win the lottery in the next six months we need to get a hold of trustee of the bankruptcy courts. He wished us luck. He called the next individual/couple up. We were home by 9:05 a.m.

I hope this help ease some of your nerves....:)

Thanks so much for posting that. We will be filing in 2 weeks and the 341 is what I'm the most nervous about. Glad to hear it's not a huge interogation.

F

funkygourmet

Trust

Pennsylvania

Melissa,
How did you handle the issue with your trust? When I went through the 341 meeting, my trust also came up and my case was not finalized because of the trust. Evidently the trustee knows nothing about trusts, and has held up my case because he said, "i need to find out more about this trust".
My mother left me the trust when she passed 6 yrs ago. But my father is executor and I will not receive it until his passing. But the trustee didn't understand that and my lawyer didn't do his job in convincing him so. So what do I do now? Wait until the bank or the trustee makes their next move? I am just dumbfounded about this situation!!!

D

dorenephilpot

Without the trust document in hand, your attorney probably *couldn't* have convinced the trustee in the BK case that there was nothing there to pursue.

Doesn't sound like your lawyer did anything wrong.

Don't have a self-induced heart attack. The trustee is just asking for more information.

My guess is that with the inaccessibility to the money and due to the fact that the trust probably has a spendthrift provision, which keeps it from being accessible to creditors, that you're probably fine.

The trustee is just doing his job, looking for assets to use to pay your creditors.

My guess is that things will go fine for you.

Hope this helps....

F

funkygourmet

wait it out?

Pennsylvania

I guess my real question is do I just wait out and see what the trustee does? Doesn't he have only a time line of 60 days to do something about the case? And then he has to dismiss it? My lawyer for some reason has not answered these questions and refuses to return my phone calls. I just want this mess over with!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">