• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had My 341 Meeting Today

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SleeplessInMI

What is the name of your state? MI

I had my 341 meeting today in Detroit. It took me longer to find a parking space then the meeting itself took. My attorney asked me most of the question which were the standard ones. The Trustee then took over and asked me only one question which was if I am keeping my car lease and I confirmed. None of my creditors made an appearance. I had all the documents that I could think of but was only asked for my 2004 tax return docs and car lease agreement... that's it. Done in about 2 mintues, if that long.

I got there about 2 hours early to watch some cases before me. Nothing major for anyone. A couple people's attorney didn't show up and had to be rescheduled. One lady had to have an interpretor with her because she couldn't speak English. There were a few chuckles from room when she kept saying yes or no before the interpretor could relay the question back to her. I did see one creditor show up... it was for a car loan and the person also had a CC bill from the same company that financed the car. No big deal really... I seen her chatting with the person before their turn, she was telling the person what she was going to be asking her. She seemed very friendly.

I seen one person get kind of grilled but it was really his own fault. He was a loud mouth and the Trustee had to stop a meeting 3 times to tell him to shut up. So by the time it was his turn the Trustee already seemed irritated with him. Plus it didn't help that his wife was with him and was smacking the gum she was chewing and they also just had a Chapter 13 discharged only a year ago. The Trustee told his lawyer he should be going Chapter 13 again. The lawyer said OK and would counsel him on it.

There were a few people that had some issues as well. Like one lady claimed to have only $46 (that's forty-six dollars) of monthly income but yet was wanting to keep her home that had a $800 mortgage payment... She nor her lawyer could answer when the Trustee asked how that is possible. I guess they figured he wouldn't look or something... Then there was a guy that didn't bring the title to his car but was allowed to fax a copy to the Trustee when he got home. I only seen one person without a lawyer and his went pretty well. No problems and no grilling.

The only documents that I seen the Trustee ask for was any car titles, real estate stuff, mortgages, IRA docs, car lease agreements, and tax return docs. I didn't see one person get asked for any bank statements or pay stubs.

It was very crowded today. I can only imagine what it will be like when all the last minute filers start coming in for their meetings. There was a few delays because the Trustee was allowing some of the lawyers to go find their clients. This was because at the last second the court changed rooms around to accomodate for the big crowds so some people went to the wrong room (actually the right room according to their 341 notice). So things were a little unorganized on the courts part and I am sure it will be alot more unorganized very soon.

LostinMI

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have my meeting at the end of November in the Eastern MI district. Hope all goes as smootly!!

When the Trustee asked for your 2004 tax return, did he indicate that he would be keeping any refund you get for 2005?

SleeplessInMI

LostinMI said:
When the Trustee asked for your 2004 tax return, did he indicate that he would be keeping any refund you get for 2005?
No but I am self employed and pay taxes every year so I am sure he probably realized that.

LostinMI

Thanks, Sleepless. You will see that I posted that question to you in another thread also.... no need to answer again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">