• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have I time to file

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dadboy

What is the name of your state?

I reside in Georgia and I am considering filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
I have zero assets and I am self employed. Do I have time to file before the new law takes effect ? Should I file or not ?

Ladynred

Yes, you have time to file, the new law goes into effect on 10/17.

Should you file ?? Hmmm.... where'd I put that crystal ball ?? :D

No facts to go on.. sorry.

Dadboy

Have I time

Ladynred said:
Yes, you have time to file, the new law goes into effect on 10/17.

Should you file ?? Hmmm.... where'd I put that crystal ball ?? :D

No facts to go on.. sorry.
Thank you for your response.

This is my first try at this format so forgive my be tentative.

I am not sure if I should file, I have over $30,000 in debts, no assests and I am self employed. I have read where sometimes the best thing to do in this situation is to do nothing.

Ladynred

Let me say this then. Since you are self-employed, your total income is considered 'receivables'. As such, if you are sued and a judgment rendered against you, a judgment creditor can take ALL of your income ! Since you have no 'wages' to garnish, receivables are 100% fair game.

Does that change your perspective any ???

Dadboy

Ladynred said:
Let me say this then. Since you are self-employed, your total income is considered 'receivables'. As such, if you are sued and a judgment rendered against you, a judgment creditor can take ALL of your income ! Since you have no 'wages' to garnish, receivables are 100% fair game.

Does that change your perspective any ???
My small business is incorporated how does that affect a bankruptcy and/or collections.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">