• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners Association

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

panda2001

I am in Texas and was granted a Ch. 7 bankruptcy on 12/17/99. Are my '98 and '99 Homeowners Assn. dues discharged under 11 U.S.C. Sec. 523? The collection lawyer for tha H.O.A. says they aren't and is trying to collect '98 and '99 fees plus interest, penalties, and other fees. The attorney that filed the bankruptcy won't give me a straight answer. Please help.

HomeGuru

Were the dues listed on the petition schedule? If not, it is not discharged. If it was listed, it would depend on whether your BK followed State or Federal rules. Lastly, you can contact your Trustee to verify.

P

panda2001

HomeGuru said:
Were the dues listed on the petition schedule? If not, it is not discharged. If it was listed, it would depend on whether your BK followed State or Federal rules. Lastly, you can contact your Trustee to verify.
The dues were included as an amendment to the schedule
in Nov. '99 when I got notification of a lein against my property. Can I force them to remove the lein? How do I contact the Trustee? Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">