• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How far back will a trustee go?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bfunkjazz

What is the name of your state? CA

How far back in time will a trustee/judge go to find out about consealment of income, lawsuit winnings, gifts, or gambling winnings? The bankruptcy was filed in May.

Thank you.

Ladynred

They have the power to look back quite a long time, I believe the new law makes it up to 10 years. I seriously doubt they would go that for for the majority of cases, 2-4 years max maybe. The bottom line... don't lie and don't conceal anything if they ask you.

Betty

Don't lie/conceal any assets. The schedule of assets/possessions is signed by debtor under penalty of perjury.

bfunkjazz

Thank you for the answers. We have evidence that the person undergoing BK is hiding assests and has not been forward about monies received from "self employment" and gambling winnings. How do we present this information? We will be attending the 341 hearing since we are listed as creditors. Can we present this information at that time?

Also, the "deadbeat" has not actively sought getting an income, leaving his new poor wife to make the family money. Will the trustee want to know why? He claims injury but cannot collect disability and has not produced proof of inability to work to any authority (there's another case pending).

Thank you.

Ladynred

How do we present this information? We will be attending the 341 hearing since we are listed as creditors. Can we present this information at that time?
If you're going to the 341 meeting you will have the chance to ask the person questions, but you will have to mind your manners. If I were you I would also gather up all the proof/evidence you have and mail copies of it to the Trustee before the 341 meeting -and make sure you take an extra copy to the 341 meeting just in case.

has not actively sought getting an income, leaving his new poor wife to make the family money. Will the trustee want to know why?
Nope, it's unlikely the Trustee will care.

bfunkjazz

Thank you. We will get the information together and send it to the trustee, and then show up to make sure he is aware of the information.....And I will mind my manners. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">