• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much is a general bankruptcy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mark

I think i need to seek the assistance of a firm that can help with the paperwork, and needless to say there are a lot of agencies willing to "help". Without getting completly ripped off, how much do bankruptcys generally cost without court fees?

quincy

I think i need to seek the assistance of a firm that can help with the paperwork, and needless to say there are a lot of agencies willing to "help". Without getting completly ripped off, how much do bankruptcys generally cost without court fees?
Here is a link to the US Courts fee schedule: http://www.uscourts.gov/services-forms/fees/bankruptcy-court-miscellaneous-fee-schedule

Add to this the cost of an approved credit counselor and the costs of an attorney if you hire one to assist you with the filing. Attorney fees can vary depending on the state, so you will need to call around and compare and contrast the costs for your area. As a note: Most bankruptcy attorneys will want to collect their fees upfront.

latigo

I think i need to seek the assistance of a firm that can help with the paperwork, and needless to say there are a lot of agencies willing to "help". Without getting completely [sic] ripped off, how much do bankruptcys [sic] generally cost without court fees?
If you know of a "lot of agencies willing to help", why are you here?

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend holding your breath while finding a law firm willing to (merely) assist you with the paperwork. The paperwork is most of the work.

If it interests you to know, the filing fee for a Chapter 7 (liquidation) is $330; Chapter 13 (36 mo. payment plan) $310. Either of which can be paid in 4 monthly installments.

Attorney fees will vary with an average about $1200. Many will not charge for the initial consultation. So work the yellow pages. Or if a Chapter 7, do it yourself as thousands do.

Also with a Chapter 13 often some portion of the lawyer fees can be paid from the debtor's payments to the plan.

Peter Mark

If you know of a "lot of agencies willing to help", why are you here?

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend holding your breath while finding a law firm willing to (merely) assist you with the paperwork. The paperwork is most of the work.

If it interests you to know, the filing fee for a Chapter 7 (liquidation) is $330; Chapter 13 (36 mo. payment plan) $310. Either of which can be paid in 4 monthly installments.

Attorney fees will vary with an average about $1200. Many will not charge for the initial consultation. So work the yellow pages. Or if a Chapter 7, do it yourself as thousands do.

Also with a Chapter 13 often some portion of the lawyer fees can be paid from the debtor's payments to the plan.

What I mean to say is if this would be the issue there will be a lot of law firm who can read support But before I want know some info related to the attorney. Hire an attorney is suitable for my case means, then how to hire a bankruptcy attorney? how shall i procced.

Peter Mark

Here is a link to the US Courts fee schedule: http://www.uscourts.gov/services-forms/fees/bankruptcy-court-miscellaneous-fee-schedule

Add to this the cost of an approved credit counselor and the costs of an attorney if you hire one to assist you with the filing. Attorney fees can vary depending on the state, so you will need to call around and compare and contrast the costs for your area. As a note: Most bankruptcy attorneys will want to collect their fees upfront.

Thanks:) My question how to approach attorney for this case whether i can get a positive results..

single317dad

Thanks:) My question how to approach attorney for this case whether i can get a positive results..
I find that referrals (both positive and negative) from people I know who have had similar cases are the best assessment of an attorney's suitability for a particular case.

quincy

What I mean to say is if this would be the issue there will be a lot of law firm who can read support But before I want know some info related to the attorney. Hire an attorney is suitable for my case means, then how to hire a bankruptcy attorney? how shall i procced.
I agree with single317dad that one of the best ways to find a good attorney is to ask your family members and friends for recommendations. This can be harder when it comes to bankruptcy attorneys, though, in that many people are reluctant to admit they have filed for bankruptcy.

If you cannot get referrals to start you off, you might want to check out your State Bar Association, to narrow your search down to only those attorneys who both specialize in bankruptcy law and who practice in your area.

What matters more than looking at large firms versus small firms is the number of years of experience the attorney has practicing in bankruptcy law. An experienced attorney can help streamline the process for you.

It is smart to set up several appointments with several different attorneys for free consultations. This will not only give you an idea of the fees charged so you can compare and contrast the costs and services offered, but this can also give you an idea of the personality of the attorney, to see if you think you can work easily with him/her. Some personalities just clash and you want to be comfortable with the attorney you choose.

And, if you want to provide your state name (I searched your posting history but could not see that you mention it anywhere), I can give you an idea of the average costs charged by bankruptcy attorneys in your state - although costs, while definitely a consideration, should not be the sole determining factor when choosing any attorney. Other factors like experience are more important.

Good luck.

Peter Mark

I find that referrals (both positive and negative) from people I know who have had similar cases are the best assessment of an attorney's suitability for a particular case.

How to hire an attorney? i am really confused at this moment for stress if you know about hiring legal attorney pls help me.

quincy

How to hire an attorney? i am really confused at this moment for stress if you know about hiring legal attorney pls help me.
Seriously?

You call up attorneys and make appointments. You decide which attorney offers the services you want at a cost you can afford. You sit down with that attorney and you read through the contract that will be presented to you for your signature. You will want to understand all of terms of this contract before signing because your signature legally binds you to the terms of the contract. You then pay the attorney. The attorney has now been hired.

I know little about you, Peter Mark. I do not know if you are originally from the US or in what state in this country you reside - or if you are even from the US. I suggest you find someone in whatever area of the country (or world) you live who can assist you with the hiring of an attorney. It is becoming clear that you cannot do this on your own.

Good luck.

Peter Mark

thanks :) But before going to the attorney i want to know what should i expect from attorney related to my case?

quincy

thanks :) But before going to the attorney i want to know what should i expect from attorney related to my case?
What is the name of your state, Peter Mark, or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

You can expect any bankruptcy attorney you hire to help you with your bankruptcy filing.

Peter Mark

What is the name of your state, Peter Mark, or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

You can expect any bankruptcy attorney you hire to help you with your bankruptcy filing.
Thanks :) The state I live in Alabama. How can I proceed a case with attorney for immediate results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">