• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Fees Charged To Mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

croberts36

What is the name of your state? Florida

When I received my final payment notice for my mortgage there were $450 in unpaid fees listed. When I checked with the mortgage company. they said these were legal fees they encountered as a result of my filing of chapter 7 several years ago. They said it was necessary to protect their interests during the bankruptcy. Is it proper to charge me for those legal fees.

Ladynred

Legal fees for WHAT exactly ?? Did you reaffirm the house in your bankruptcy ?? What was it they were protecting themselves from ?? Ask for an itemized statement of EXACTLY what those 'legal' fees are for and call a lawyer, I've never heard of this one before.

croberts36

I talked to my mortgage company this morning. They said that when they received the notification of my bankruptcy filing. they hired a lawfirm to communicate with me because they couldn't do so legally. They also said my mortgage contract makes me liable for such fees. Such language is included in the fine print of my contract.

Ladynred

they hired a lawfirm to communicate with me because they couldn't do so legally
That's crap. They were never barred from COMMUNICATING with you, they were only barred from trying to COLLECT from you. I'd still ask a lawyer about it, and maybe your bankruptcy lawyer too. What precisely did this lawyer DO for them anyway ?? You are entitled to an itemized list of charges, make them produce it. I sure as hell wouldn't pay them a red cent until they do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">