• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Listing expenses paid by someone else?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FiniteQ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii. I'm filing for bankruptcy, I currently have no income, no property other my clothing and am disabled, formerly homeless but with huge amounts of student loan and consumer debt that I lost track of for a long time. Anyway, the bankruptcy forms ask me to list expenses, but I'm wondering do I still list and calculate them even if they are paid by someone else--i.e. various non-related friends? I live in a small cabin on one of their properties. Am I only supposed to list expenses that I personally pay for out of a declared income?

On Schedule I in "other" at line 8(h) you list "contributions by friends and family" and show an average monthly amount. If you receive any government assistance that is listed at line 8(e) or 8(f) as the case may be.

You then fill out Schedule J as though you were paying the expenses.

You also need to calculate the amount contributed in the 6 months prior to filing, and list that as your monthly income for means testing purposes. Again, this is listed as "other". Please note that SS payments are not included for means testing purposes. And. . . we are discussing "form 22(A)" for means testing

Hope this helps.

Des.

FiniteQ

Thank you despritfreya, I'll do that. Does this also apply if people just give you food or clothing, as opposed to giving you money to buy it yourself?

Does this also apply if people just give you food or clothing, as opposed to giving you money to buy it yourself?
The Bk Code talks in terms of "amounts paid. . . on a regular basis for the household expenses of the debtor or the debtor's dependents" 11 USC 101(10A)(B).

So, IMHO if someone is donating food or clothing to you in a time of need I don't think it's a big deal but, if we are not talking major dollars in equivalent value then, why not err on the side of caution and include it? I doubt that by doing so, you would raise your monthly income to a level that would disqualify you for a Chapter 7. Work the numbers and see where you are.

Des.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">