• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bill collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

esantamour

My husband was just contacted by a debt collector regarding an outstanding medical bill for his son. His son's mother and he are divorced. Their divorce agreement states that he pays for the child's health insurance but any medical costs not covered by insurance are to be split 50/50 by both parties. The doctor's office involved never sent us a bill for any of the treatments the child received despite the fact that they had his address and phone # on file. All communications were sent to the mother, who ignored them all. The account was turned over to a collection agency. They have been very nasty, to say the least. They have accused my husband of lying when he stated that he had not received any paperwork regarding the debt and said he should get a lawyer as they will not discuss the matter with him. He called the doctor's office to try to verify the amount owed and work out payment arrangements, but they said they can no longer do that as the account was turned over. Don't we have the right to resolve this directly with the creditor rather than the debt collector? My husband never signed any contract with this doctor's office and his ex-wife refuses to let him know when bills come to her or even when his son goes to the doctor. What can we do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">