• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Bankruptcy Attorney Sucks and I Need Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vtriponi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I filed for Chapter 13 Bankruptcy per my bankruptcy attorney's advice almost 2 years ago and paid him $1400 that I had to borrow from my parents. Anyway, at that time I was a self-employed licensed massage therapist and my practice had dried up completely because of the economy. I went to him on the advice of HUD, paid him the money, gave him all of the information he requested (financial), and even gave up my home to the mortgage company as part of the bankruptcy. Since then my income has been very sporadic and has gone down further. He has revised my bankruptcy twice so that now I owe $399 per month. I cannot afford it and told him so about 4 months ago. I am now going to nursing school full time during the day on a Pell Grant, working part time at night until 1 AM as a telephone interviewer, collecting food stamps, and can barely pay my rent, utilities, and gas to get to school and work. He has not been very forthcoming with any information on how I should proceed. The only thing I know is that I cannot pay anything to the bankruptcy. I don't have anything. I've given up everything of any value to me in the past 2 years and it has been a very trying time. I finally emailed the Trustee and asked him for advice. One day later I finally received an email from my lawyer. I had asked whether I should convert my Chapter 13 Bankruptcy to a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy since I can't afford the former. He says I shouldn't do that at this time and I should wait and there will be more fees. This is ridiculous. I am tired of the partial answers he gives and am looking for direction and improvement in my life. If anyone can recommend how I should proceed, it would be tremendously appreciated.

Hot Topic

No one can give you legal advice on this forum because we aren't all attorneys and have no access to the papers involved.

If you're not satisfied with your attorney, you can terminate him at any time. You will, however, have to pay for any actions he has recently taken on your behalf. Yes, you will have to pay him for the email.

Maybe you should concentrate on work rather than school until your situation improves.

Check with your local bar association. They may run one of those legal clinics where you can (briefly) talk to an attorney free of charge. With the economy the way it is, I wouldn't be surprised if a bankruptcy lawyer shows up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">